Monday, April 19, 2010

Oh, how it hurts...NOT!

I've been trying to promote an open mike for local writers on Fisherman's Wharf. One of my writer friends, Pat Hanson, has always wanted to emcee such an event, and somehow I got involved after reading a "pregnant with danger" story in our local paper, Monterey County Weekly. After reading their 831 story about a couple who get lost while hiking in big sur while the woman is pregnant, I wrote to the Weekly. That's about the gist of it. I didn't find the article very compelling at all, but it did remind me of my own book about a very pregnant woman who comes into close contact with a big mountain lion in an area of the base that has been closed to the public for over a decade. This place, as well as the book, are both named East Garrison. So, naturally I sent off a letter to the paper, (who incidentally is the ONLY local paper who has not written anything about my book or me), saying essentially "if you want to read a heart-pounding pregnant with danger story, why don't you review my book?" To date I havn't received a reply from the paper. Once, a while ago, when I hounded them about getting a review, I did get an answer, and I'm paraphrasing here, "You've received enough coverage in the other papers." Hmmm, I wonder why they keep doing stories on Clint Eastwood...hasn't he gotten enough coverage Internationally? Why not help promote local writers, the little guys and gals who live here and write about the area? Isn't that what local papers do? Alas, it is, as they say, out of my hands. I have a crazy idea though, that if I were to win a prize or sell the rights to my story for a movie, something like that, they might want to do a story...

No comments: