Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Another Foggy Summer on the Central Coast.

It's a week before Memorial Day, well, almost, and the clouds over the sand hills of Fort Ord are shades of gray. Although most people hate the weather, I LOVE IT! I'm a BIG fan of Warren Zevon, whose favorite color was gray. This says a lot about me, much more than the fact that I hate hot weather. I'll let the reader figure that out. Warren Zevon was one of the greatest song writers ever, and if you have yet to discover him, educate yourself. He considered himself to be a very successful folk singer, rather than a rock star, and he loved writers. Known by most people for his song "Werewolves of London," probably because it was his first commercial hit, his music usually encapsulated stories from Jesus to Elvis and modern day warfare. His last album, written while he was dying, has one of my favorite rock songs on it called "Disorder in the House." The album is titled "The Wind," and it has many of Warren's friends performing with him--Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, even Billy Bob Thorton. A writer friend is teaching me how to play the guitar because I want to be able to play Warren's songs. Listen to his clever lyrics. You'll find them, at the very least, entertaining.
So today, as I look at the gray-covered sky, I'm reminded of a man who also loved the color gray.

No comments: